2019 August Edition
CS-Can / Info-Can is in the midst of a number of initiatives that will allow the organization to better support the Canadian computing community. Here are some recent highlights. Each has links to other pages on the website where you can find out more about what’s new with CS-Can / Info-Can.
- Commitment to bilingualism. CS-Can / Info-can is committed to a fully bilingual communications strategy. Our goal is to provide all of our website content in both English and French whenever possible. For user-generated content, there is support for both official languages on the forms that we provide for content submission. We strongly encourage members to take advantage of this to provide bilingual versions of all content they post (such as Job Ads, News Items, and Event Announcements — see below for more about how to submit these types of postings).
- Executive Director. CS-Can / Info-Can has a new Executive Director! Adele Newton joined us in June and will be working with the Board of Directors and others to deliver a number of new services to members, industry, the wider computing community, and the Canadian public.
- Awards. The 2019 Awards Nominations open on September 1. Deadlines and instructions for nominations for a Lifetime Achievement Award, an Outstanding Young Computer Science Researcher Prize, or the Distinguished Dissertation Award are now on the website.
- Forum. The CS-Can / Info-Can Forum now has user accounts for all Canadian faculty members in computer science and related fields. Details and instructions for activating accounts and for setting up departmental profiles and individual member pages are now on the website.
- Job Ads. The Forum allows members to post Job Ads for computer science faculty positions in Canada on the website. Forum users authorized to post on behalf of their departments can provide a summary of a job opening along with a link to a full advertisement on a university or other external website. The ad will then appear in the Careers section on the website and an email notification linking to the ad will be sent to all department chairs. Job Ads can be posted in bilingual format (even if the external ad is not), which is strongly encouraged!
- News Items. The Forum allows members to post News Items that will then appear on the website. Forum users authorized to post can provide a summary of items of interest to the Canadian computing community along with a link to the full news item on an external website. The item will then appear in the News section on the website. News Items can be posted in bilingual format (even if the external ad is not), which is strongly encouraged!
- Event Announcements. The Forum allows members to post Event Announcements on the website. Forum users authorized to post can provide a summary of upcoming events of interest to the Canadian computing community along with a link to the full event announcement on an external website. The announcement will then appear in the Events section on the website. Event Announcements can be posted in bilingual format (even if the external ad is not), which is strongly encouraged!
- Students and postdoctoral fellows. The Student & Postdoc Advisory Committee (SPAC) has been very active over the past two years developing new ways for students and postdoctoral fellows to engage with CS-Can / Info-Can, including the inaugural Annual CS-Can Student Symposium that was held in June this year.
- NSERC-CS Liaison Committee. On behalf of the Canadian computing research community, CS-Can / Info-Can supports the NSERC-CS Liaison Committee that meets regularly with the funding agency to discuss matters of importance to Canadian researchers.
- Elections. Elections were held in June for three vacant positions on the Board of Directors. The next elections will be in 2020 when there will be candidates for the position of President and for eight Director positions on the Board. A 2020 Call for Nominations will be issued by the Nominating Committee in Spring 2020.
- History. A brief history of the organization is now available on the website.