We are looking for a postdoctoral research associate to join Secure Systems research at the Cheriton School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo. We are a systems security group. Our focus is on understanding how to build secure systems, while ensuring ease-of-use and improving likelihood of deployment.
One of our main research directions is understanding the security and privacy concerns in systems based on machine learning (ML) and developing ways of addressing these concerns. Our work so far has involved both offensive and defensive aspects such as developing improved model extraction attacks or designing efficient, oblivious neural networks.
The selected candidate for this position will help lead our ML security and privacy research. More details at https://asokan.org/asokan/research/SecureSystems-open-positions-Oct2020.php.
At Secure Systems, we also work in other systems security research areas like platform security. Visit https://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/research/SSG/ and https://asokan.org/asokan/research for more information on our recent research.
Starting date: ASAP.
Duration: 2–3 years.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Additional information can be obtained by contacting Dr. N. Asokan by email at email@example.com.
• A recent PhD in computer science or a related discipline focussing on computer security and/or AI.
• A profound understanding of basic ML techniques and prior experience using them in non-trivial applications.
• A good grasp of system security concepts in general.
• Prior research experience, as evidenced by publications in top notch venues, addressing research problems in security/privacy or ML (preferably both).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
To apply for the position, send mail to Dr. N. Asokan at firstname.lastname@example.org with your current CV and a description of why you think you are a good fit for this position. The position will remain open until filled.