Canadian computer science departments can use the Forum to create news items that will then appear on the News page on this website.
Who can create News Item postings?
Only authorized Forum User Accounts can post Event Announcements.
Creating a new News Item posting
To post News Item, login to the Forum News Postings page and click on the Create a News Item button at the top of the page. This will lead to the following form on the Forum (instructions follow below, after the screenshot of the form).
Completing the fields in the News Item posting form
Fill in as many of the fields in the form as you can. The more complete the New Item, the more likely it is to attract interest. Both English and French versions are encouraged for all text fields. This will make the News Item bilingual.
- News Title: Enter English and French versions of a short, descriptive text phrase that describes the item, such as “Canadian wins Turing Award” or “P=NP finally resolved by Canadian researcher.” Save the details for the Summary where additional information can be provided.
- Visibility: A Published News Item is visible to the public on the main CS-Can / Info-Can website News page. A Draft Job Ad is visible to the creator only on the Forum (see below for how to preview a News Item).
- Language: Select Bilingual/Bilingue, English, or Français from the pull-down menu. Unilingual News Items will appear on both the English and French sections of the main website but with a note in the other-language section that there is no translation available. Bilingual News Items will appear in the appropriate language for each section so they must have both English and French versions filled out for every field.
- Article Link: Enter the URL that links to the original version of the News Item on an external website.
- Posted Date: Select the date the News Item was originally posted or released by the Author.
- Author: Enter the name of the individual or organization that originated the News Item.
- Source Name: Enter the name of the organization affiliated with the News Item (this may be the same or different from Author).
- Source Link: Enter the URL for the external website of the organization affiliated with the News Item (usually the home page).
- Image : Upload an image that will appear with the News Item that is representative of the essence of the story.
- Image Caption: Enter English and French versions of a short, descriptive text phrase that describes the image, such as “Canadian Turing Award winner Dr. Grant Swinger.”
- Summary: The section is limited to 2000 characters. Often the full story will be longer than this. Additional information can be made available through the Article Link field, which specifies a URL that links to the original News Item on an external website.
Submitting a News Item
When you have filled in all of the fields, click on the Create News Posting button at the bottom of the form to submit the News Item. This will go to a preview of the content on the Forum.
Revising (Editing) a News Item
You can edit any News Item that you created by clicking on the Edit News Posting button at the bottom of the Forum page for the News Item. This will return you to the editable version of the News Item.
Publishing a News Item
Once you are satisfied with the content of a News Item, edit it to set Visibility to Published and click on the Save News Item button at the bottom of the page. This will again show you a preview of the News Item on the Forum, but it will also make the item visible on the News page of the main CS-Can / Info-Can website.
You can temporarily remove News Items from the main website by changing Visibility to Draft on the Forum.
Previewing a News Item
A full preview of how the News Item will appear on the main website can be obtained after it has been created by clicking on the red Website Page button in the Forum preview page (not the editing page). This will open a new browser window with the News Item as it appears on the News page of the main CS-Can / Info-Can website. If the News Item is still a Draft, there will be a red Preview on Website button instead. Use that to see how the News Item will appear after it is published.
Deleting a News Item
When viewing the Forum version of a News Item, there will be a Delete News Posting button at the bottom of the page, next to the button to edit. Click on Delete News Posting to permanently delete the News Item. Once deleted, News Items cannot be recovered. It is recommended that News Items only be deleted when it is certain there will be no future need for the News Item. Switching a News Item to Draft will remove it from public visibility on the CS-Can / Info-Can website. Often this is sufficient if there is a need to suspend or postpone a News Item, and it allows the News Item to be re-published later, perhaps after revision, should that be desirable.