Canadian computer science departments can use the Forum to create announcements about upcoming events that will then appear on the Events page on this website.
Who can create Event Announcement postings?
Only authorized Forum User Accounts can post Event Announcements.
Creating a new Event Announcement posting
To post an Event Announcement, login to the Forum Events Postings page and click on the Create an Event Announcement button at the top of the page. This will lead to the following form on the Forum (instructions follow below, after the screenshot of the form).
Completing the fields in the Event Announcement posting form
Fill in as many of the fields in the form as you can. The more complete the Event Announcement, the more likely it is to attract interest. Both English and French versions are encouraged for all text fields. This will make the Event Announcement bilingual.
- Event Title: Enter English and French versions of a short, descriptive text phrase that describes the event, such as “Turing machine programming contest” or “CS Departmental Open House at XYZ University.” Save the details for the Summary where additional information can be provided.
- Visibility: A Published Event Announcement is visible to the public on the main CS-Can / Info-Can website Events page. A Draft Event Announcement is visible to the creator only on the Forum (see below for how to preview a Event Announcement).
- Language: Select Bilingual/Bilingue, English, or Français from the pull-down menu. Unilingual Event Announcements will appear on both the English and French sections of the main website but with a note in the other-language section that there is no translation available. Bilingual Event Announcements will appear in the appropriate language for each section so they must have both English and French versions filled out for every field.
- Article Link: Enter the URL that links to the original version of the Event Announcement on an external website.
- Posted Date: Select the date that the event will take place.
- Address / City / Province / Country: Enter the complete address where the event will take place so that attendees can locate it.
- Image: Upload an image that will appear with the Event Announcement that is representative of the essence of the story.
- Image Caption: Enter English and French versions of a short, descriptive text phrase that describes the image, such as “2019 CS Open House.”
- Summary: The section is limited to 2000 characters. Often the full announcement will be longer than this. Additional information can be made available through the Article Link field, which specifies a URL that links to more complete description of the event on an external website.
Submitting an Event Announcement
When you have filled in all of the fields, click on the Create Event Posting button at the bottom of the form to submit the Event Announcement. This will go to a preview of the content on the Forum.
Revising (Editing) an Event Announcement
You can edit any Event Announcement that you created by clicking on the Edit Event Posting button at the bottom of the Forum page for the Event Announcement. This will return you to the editable version of the Event Announcement.
Publishing an Event Announcement
Once you are satisfied with the content of an Event Announcement, edit it to set Visibility to Published and click on the Save Event Posting button at the bottom of the page. This will again show you a preview of the Event Announcement on the Forum, but it will also make the Event Announcement visible on the Events page of the main CS-Can / Info-Can website.
You can temporarily remove Event Announcements from the main website by changing Visibility to Draft on the Forum.
Previewing an Event Announcement
A full preview of how the Event Announcement will appear on the main website can be obtained after it has been created by clicking on the red Website Page button in the Forum preview page (not the editing page). This will open a new browser window with the Event Announcement as it appears on the Events page of the main CS-Can / Info-Can website. If the Event Announcement is still a Draft, there will be a red Preview on Website button instead. Use that to see how the Event Announcement will appear after it is published.
Deleting an Event Announcement
When viewing the Forum version of an Event Announcement, there will be a Delete Event Posting button at the bottom of the page, next to the button to edit. Click on Delete Event Posting to permanently delete the Event Announcement. Once deleted, Event Announcement cannot be recovered. It is recommended that Event Announcements only be deleted when it is certain there will be no future need for the Event Announcement. Switching an Event Announcement to Draft will remove it from public visibility on the CS-Can / Info-Can website. Often this is sufficient if there is a need to suspend or postpone an Event Announcement, and it allows the Event Announcement to be re-published later, perhaps after revision, should that be desirable.