Website St. Francis Xavier University
The Department of Computer Science at St. Francis Xavier University invites applications for a Systems & Outreach Administrator position. This is a full-time position with a start date of December 1, 2022. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Computer Science, the Systems & Outreach Administrator provides both technical and outreach support to the department. The technical support is the primary function of the role.
Technical support responsibilities include specialized computing support for faculty members, as well as undergraduate and graduate students in the department. This includes, but is not limited to:
- the resolution of hardware and software issues
- the installation and maintenance of specialized software
- the deployment, setup and maintenance of computing equipment (including equipment in the new Computer Science laboratory)
- the daily inspection and upkeep of computers and other equipment in the laboratory and elsewhere in the department
- the offering of training sessions for specialized software
- the offering of training sessions for laboratory assistants
- making recommendations about the purchasing of computing equipment to advance the academic (both teaching and research) mission of the department
- possible development of custom software
Outreach support responsibilities include assisting with
- summer coding camps, programming competitions, school visits
- industry media events, social media events
- other CS-recruitment-related efforts both locally and internationally (through supporting international recruitment staff).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. A Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field is an asset
- At least four years of relevant experience
- Excellent Linux systems administration
- Excellent knowledge of and experience installing and configuring server systems including Linux
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with network devices, server and PC hardware
- Knowledge of system security and data backup/recovery
- Programming skills
- Experience working in data centers and with cluster management is an asset
- Experience with parallel computing, schedulers (e.g., slurm) and scientific computing is an asset
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to represent Computer Science in a professional and enthusiastic manner
Application material should include: a cover letter, a resume, and the contact information for three references. Applications should be directed to Dr. Iker Gondra, Chair and sent via email in the form of one pdf file to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line SOAdministrator.
To learn more about the Department of Computer Science, St. Francis Xavier University, please visit our website at http://www.mystfx.ca/computer-science/
The review of applications will begin on November 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com