The postdoctoral fellow will work under the direction of Dr. Orland Hoeber on a project titled “Supporting exploratory information seeking in public digital libraries”. The project will be conducted in collaboration with two University of Regina Librarians (Dale Storie and Veronica Ramshaw), the Regina Public Library, and the Saskatchewan Information and Library Services Consortium. Working with a team of graduate students in the Department of Computer Science, the postdoctoral fellow will conduct research that includes search log analysis from a public library, observational and interview-based studies of public library search behaviour, expert reviews of mobile and desktop/laptop search interfaces, user studies of such search interfaces, and the study of public library search behaviour across sessions, contexts, and devices.
This research is supported by a four-year NSERC Alliance Grant. The initial appointment for the postdoctoral fellow will be one year, with the ability to renew the appointment on a yearly basis based on performance, up to the end of the grant. The postdoctoral fellow will serve as a coordinator for this project, and as a mentor for the graduate students. The postdoctoral fellow will spend 80% of their time on this project, with the remaining 20% (one day per week) dedicated to other research-oriented “passion projects”, following Google’s “20 percent time” philosophy.
In order to assist the postdoctoral fellow with their academic career development, in one semester per year, the fellow will teach a graduate-level course in the area of information science or human-computer interaction. The specific topic and details of the course will be based on the postdoctoral fellow’s expertise and skillset, and will be developed and delivered under the guidance of Dr. Orland Hoeber.