University of Regina
The postdoctoral fellow will conduct research and teaching on Data Science and Data Analytics. The duties of this position are to conduct cutting-edge research in Data Science and Data Analytics; to work in consultation with the Faculty of Science Data Science Working Group to develop and teach courses, programs of study, curriculum, and pedagogy around the teaching and learning of data science at the graduate and undergraduate level; and to develop relationships between the Data Science Working Group and local industry relevant to the practice of Data Science and Data Analytics.
In order to assist the postdoctoral fellow with their academic career development, the fellow will be assigned to teach two graduate-level courses in the area of Data Science and Data Analytics each year of the appointment. A list of courses offered in the area of Data Science and Data Analytics for the professional MSc in Computer Science – Data Science program in the University of Regina can be found here: https://www.uregina.ca/science/cs/graduate/MSc-Data-Science.html. The specific topic and details of the course will be based on the postdoctoral fellow’s expertise and skillset, and will be assigned by the Head of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Regina.
The initial appointment for the postdoctoral fellow will be one year, with the ability to renew the appointment on a yearly basis based on performance, up to a total of three years. The postdoctoral fellow will spend 80% of their time on duties associated with this position, with the remaining 20% (one day per week) dedicated to other research-oriented “passion projects”, following Google’s “20 percent time” philosophy.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science or closely related discipline, and with a specialization in Data Science and Data Analytics
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
• Proven ability to work within a research team as well as independently
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
• Experience in conducting Data Science and Data Analytics research (e.g., conducting literature reviews, developing research questions and hypotheses, designing user studies, preparing research ethics applications, collecting qualitative or quantitative data, analyzing qualitative or quantitative data, disseminating research results)
• Experience in the dissemination of the outcomes of research, with an established publication record
$60,000 annually; increasing to $62,500 if the appointment is renewed for the second year, and $65,000 if the appointment is renewed for the third year
Work Hours, Holidays, and other Work Conditions:
As per CUPE Local 5791 (Research Employees) collective agreement (https://5791.cupe.ca/files/2020/04/2020-2023-CUPE-5791-Research-Employees-Collective-
The expected start date is September 1, 2022, but this is flexible (+/- one or two months).
Candidates for this position must provide the following information: a cover letter that addresses the specific items in the position requirements, their CV, the transcripts from their Ph.D. and Master’s degrees, a sample research publication in which they are a co-author, and two letters of reference (one must be from their doctoral supervisor or supervisory committee member).
All of this information should be packaged together in a zip file, uploaded to a cloud-based file repository, and the link emailed to CSGrad.Admin@uregina.ca. Please use the following in the subject line: “Data science postdoc application”. Applications will be reviewed as they arrive, and interviews will be arranged for promising candidates as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled.
Inquiries about this position may be made via email to CSGrad.Admin@uregina.ca
The University of Regina is committed to an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the community that we serve. The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including individuals within the University’s employment equity categories of women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code.